Saturday, December 1, 2012

Bourgueil & Chinon – Introvert Personalities of Cabernet Franc


I remember Andre at my high school.  He sat at the back of the Grade 12 Physics classroom.  Although I sat next to him, he hardly spoke a word throughout that semester.  Andre sat quietly at the back of classroom and aced all exams.  It took quite a bit of time to get to know Andre.  Looking back, I understood Andre once I listened to him rather than listening to my own judgement about him.

When I drink one of the cuvées from Catherine and Pierre Breton Bourgueils or Bernard Baudry Chinons, I am transported to the time of understanding Andre. Both Bourgueils and Chinons are made from 100% Cabernet Franc.  It has a strong and silent personality.  

Cabernet Franc needs élevage”, said Pierre Breton when I visited him this January.  Pierre likes Bourgueils and Chinons with all meats but he likes them particularly with all games, such as ducks and pheasants.  With minimal fruit and scratch tannins wrapped in minerals, the initiation to Bourgueils and Chinons can be not-so-easy going.  Bourgueil and Chinon want time and introspection.  Once one understands Bourgueil and Chinon, it is a lifetime of love.


2 comments:

Kitura said...

Hey Brian,

Thanks for bringing in these great wines. I love both the Baudry and Foillard wines. These are great additions to BC. My only complaint is that your other wines are hard to get a hold for a guy living in Kamloops. I finally managed to track down the Pepiere and am looking forward to trying it out. Keep up the good work!

Brian said...

Thanks! Majority of our wines are carried by private stores in and near Vancouver as the many wines are Speculative (as opposed to Listed - carried by BCLDB stores). If you come down for a visit to Vancouver, the largest selection of our wines are available at Kitsilano Wine Cellars. Everything Wine, Legacy, Dundadrave & Marquis also carry a selection of our wines. Please feel free to contact me if you heading down to Vancouver.

Cheers,
Brian