Friday, February 28, 2014

Beauty of French Copper Cookware

While waiting to catch my plane at the Charles de Gaulle Airport in Paris on a return trip from meeting the vigneron a few years back, I met an American gentleman.  He was carrying a carefully packaged bag of something.  On a side of the bag, there was a green tag that read ‘E. DEHILLERIN’ with a picture of a rooster. The gentleman sat beside where I was sitting.  So, we ended up having a pleasant conversion.  He said, “I come to Paris on a business trip every year.  And I buy a copper pot or pan at E. DEHILLERIN on every trip.  My wife and I like cooking.”

Ever since that moment at the Charles de Gaulle Airport, I now, too, buy a a copper pot or pan at E. DEHILLERIN every time I visit Paris on my wine buying trip.

French, rich in all things related to cooking, has an array of copper cookware.  If you have visited E. DEHILLERIN, you will know what I am talking about it.  And when the copper pans and pots get brown after use, they are easy to restore to their beautiful copper patina.  Simply use one egg white, ¼ cup of regular vinegar, 2-3 tablespoon of course salt, and some flour to bind into a paste.  Then, use a non-scratch sponge to clean with the paste. It will only take a few minutes.


If you like cooking, it is worthwhile investing in French copper pots and pans.  There is no equal to great copper pans.  Cooking with them is one of great life compensations.  

No comments: