Saturday, October 25, 2014

Warmth of Zinc Bars

There is something about zinc counter tops in wine bars and bistros.  Wine bars often have a different connotation in North America.  We tend to view wine bars like beer bars.  Places where we go for wines, instead of beers. In Paris, I see wine bars in different light.  I see good wine bars in Paris, where one has honestly made wines by a glass from a dozen of selections and equally honest foods in a friendly setting.

The honest foods may be simple as terrine maison, salads, oeuf mayonnais, roasted birds or cheeses and, of course, some crusty bread.  In Paris, there are usually no chairs at zinc bars.  You simply lean in and ask for a glass of wine and some delicious dishes.  Zinc bars are where the locals and visitors congregate to eat, drink and, above all, to socialize.

Zinc bars, like no other material that I know have elegance and warmth.  They are warm to touch.  You can lean in and feel the ambience.  Zinc bars have wabi-sabi beauty that is hard to match.

So, when the local chef Brad Miller of Bistro Wagon Rouge decided to put in a zinc bar (pictured above), I was so happy.  Chef Brad has spent some time cooking in France.  On my recent visit to the bistro, I noticed the zinc bar is very popular.  The bar is where I would like to sit. I often order some chef Brad’s addictive tartines and fresh white wine or bubbles to start the evening.  It is a civilized way to unwind my day. 

No comments: